People tend to underestimate the benefit of taking a few extra minutes or seconds to give step by step instruction every time they ask someone to do something.
Often people will assume that the other person, firstly, knows what you are talking about and secondly, knows how to do what you have asked for to the standard you expect.
It is important to remember a couple of things:
- Everyone does not think like you and behave like you so their level of done and yours are likely different
- You may have context that they don’t regarding the task
- They may have no idea what the purpose is therefore do not give you all the information you really require.
So Every time you ask someone for something or to do something take the time to tell them:
- Why you need it, the purpose of it
- Exactly what to do to get it or do it
- What you expect to get or see as a result
Those few extra minutes it takes to tell or write that can remove large amounts of reword, back and forth conversations and frustrations, making a happier work environment.
Powered by Facebook Comments